Skip to main content Skip to home page
Hero Placeholder
WGH Heart Logo

History

1951
Wabash General Hospital opened in spring 1951 with 52 beds and 18 bassinets. A formal dedication ceremony took place on June 3 that same year.

1954
After only three years of operation, the new hospital received full accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.

1960-1975
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, various renovations and improvements allowed Wabash General to keep up with the changes in medicine and medical technology. That included creation of an intensive coronary care/recovery room in 1971; roof replacement, cafeteria redecoration, and repairing of the building’s exterior in 1972; and construction of an ancillary building to house physician offices, the radiology, lab, admitting, and emergency room departments in 1975.

1979
The hospital facility no longer met state building requirements and life-safety regulations. The administrator and Board of Directors compared the costs and benefits of renovating the current building to those of constructing a new hospital. Cost estimates showed that renovation would approach 75 percent of the cost of a new structure. The group decided to build instead of renovate.

1980-1989
The new decade began with planning for a 38,000 square foot, 64-bed replacement hospital. Groundbreaking for the one-story facility occurred on August 22, 1982, with a formal dedication on October 16, 1983. A variety of grants, loans, and donations helped fund construction, with the hospital’s Auxiliary raising $85,000 in support of equipping the building.    

The WGH Home Health Agency was created in 1981, and in November 1987, Alliant Management Services of Louisville, Kentucky became managing agent of Wabash General Hospital.

1990-1999
Wabash General continued to provide high-quality care for the community throughout the 1990s.  On March 19, 1999, the hospital broke ground on a $4.5 million renovation project. This project moved outpatient services to the front of the building, consolidated departments that were spread throughout the hospital, and provided for more efficient services for patients and visitors. There were approximately 8,000 square feet of new construction and 18,000 square feet of renovation completed.

2000
A ribbon cutting ceremony for the building and renovation project took place on May 10, 2000.

2002
The hospital experienced significant clinical growth throughout the 2000s. On June 12, Wabash General’s Ambulance Service received Advanced Life Support (ALS) certification. This allowed a licensed EMT-Paramedic to lead the ALS ambulance team and increase the level of emergency care available.

2003
Wabash General earned designation as a critical access hospital.

2005
Mt. Carmel native, Dr. Julko Fullop, returned to Wabash General Hospital. He received one of the first medical school scholarships offered by Wabash General and returned to honor his commitment of service to the community. Dr. Fullop specialized in orthopedic surgery and helped create the hospital’s orthopedic surgery department.

2007
Wabash General added a stand-alone convenient care after-hours clinic in the multi-specialty clinic area. That same year, Wabash General partnered with three other area hospitals to provide a mobile mammography service. Additionally, Dr. Maqbool Ahmed began offering an oncology/hematology clinic.

2011
In July, a new medical office building opened across the street from the main hospital. This provided space for the growing Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Department. It also became home to the Rehabilitation Services Department.

2013
A new entrance to the hospital grounds was added as well as the south portico. The portico made it easier to access mammography, MRI, and PET-CT scan units.

Wabash General Hospital implemented electronic medical records during this time and received two outstanding national awards in the fourth quarter of 2013. The Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence Award was given to 225 hospitals nationwide, including WGH. The Leapfrog Group handed out 90 Top Hospital Awards in the U.S. and again Wabash General was one of those recipients. Both of these awards were for quality of service.

2014
Wabash General Hospital entered into an affiliation agreement with Deaconess Health System in Evansville, Indiana. Affiliation allowed the hospitals to work together on important initiatives like population health management, staff and physician education, and providing seamless transitions of care from the doctor’s office to medical specialists and advanced procedures.

Wabash General also expanded their Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Clinic to include locations in Fairfield and Carmi, Illinois. 

2016
On April 1, Wabash General Hospital opened an Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Clinic in Lawrenceville, Illinois. 

Wabash General received designation as an Acute Stroke Ready Hospital from the Illinois Department of Public Health.

2018
Becker’s Hospital Review named Wabash General Hospital as one of the “66 Critical Access Hospitals to Know in 2018.” HCAHPS recognized Wabash with the MBQIP Quality Award, Star Rating Performer, Top Performance Award, and Quality of Care Outcomes Award. Wabash General also received the "Excellence in Innovation Award" for their Joint Camp.

In October, the Wabash General Hospital Foundation held its first annual donor appreciation event.

Primary care services expanded to nearby Edwards County, Illinois with the opening of Albion Medical Clinic in December.

On December 31, 2018, long time President and CEO Jay Purvis retried from Wabash General Hospital. 

2019
Karissa Turner became the hospital's new president & CEO on January 1.
 
Back to top